As part of our insurance business, we obtain certain "nonpublic personal information" about you, which for ease of reading we will refer to as "customer information". This information includes information we receive from you on applications or other forms and in the claims process. We may obtain information about individual lawyers from the lawyer, a firm administrator, or a partner in a firm. The information may include first and last name, cell number, information about grievances and disciplinary history and information relating to past and possible claims.
We receive customer information primarily from your application process. The application process involves the application and supplements, phone inquiries, emailed information. We also may obtain public information about you, such as your email address from The Florida Bar's website.
You agree to our collection and storage of customer information and other information about you on our computers and other storage devices in the Unites States and elsewhere when you supply information. We take reasonable precautions to protect information stored in "cloud" devices.
Florida Lawyers takes your personal privacy very seriously. We strive to take appropriate security measures to protect against unauthorized access to or unauthorized alteration, disclosure or destruction of your customer information. For example:
- We generally do not sell or share customer information with organizations not affiliated with FLMIC; however, we share customer information with third party organizations as necessary for FLMIC's ongoing insurance business, such as reinsurers and reinsurance agents.
- We restrict access to customer information to authorized individuals who need to know this information to provide service and products to you on our behalf.
- We encrypt all customer information in order to prevent unauthorized parties from viewing such information when it is transmitted to us.
- We maintain physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards that protect customer information. Our secure servers and our data centers are protected by industry-standard encryption, and our servers reside behind firewalls and employ high-level password protection.
- We only keep customer information only for as long as reasonable and use it only for the purposes for which it was collected or to comply with any applicable legal reporting or document retention requirements.
- We afford prospective and former insured lawyers the same protections as existing insured lawyers with respect to use of customer information.
We share customer information with our affiliates. We have formed an insurance agency subsidiary that has access to customer information about you. You may receive information from FLMIC or its affiliate about FLMIC insurance and other insurance products that we believe may suit your needs. You may limit our affiliates marketing to you. If you chose to limit us sharing information to our affiliates who market to you, you may do so by telling us at http://flmic.com/contact.cfm.
There are occasions when we are required to disclose customer information in the process of dealing with a claim. Our goal is to protect the confidentially of customer information. We will attempt to involve you in any aspect of the claims process that may require disclosure of customer information.
In response to terrorist activities and other international relations, we are or may become subject to Executive Orders issued by the President of The United States and the USA Patriot Act. Our compliance with Executive Orders or the USA Patriot Act may require that we disclose certain information about our insured lawyers to Federal agencies, including Department of The Treasury Office of Foreign Assets Control. We believe that cooperating with government anti-terrorism measures and other foreign policy initiatives is required by law and good citizenship.
Our website may be linked to third party websites, such as the Member Benefits Committee of The Florida Bar. FLMIC is not responsible for the content or privacy practices of websites that may be linked to our website.
Our website is not directed at children under the age of 18. FLMIC does not knowingly collect or maintain information from persons under the age of 18.
You do not need to call, or do anything as a result of this notice. It is meant to inform you of how we safeguard your nonpublic personal financial information. You may wish to file this notice with your insurance papers.